- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and chopped or grated
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 1 cup toasted coconut (unsweetened)
Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Spread unsweetened coconut on baking sheet tray, bake until edges are light brown, about 5–10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside in a bowl.
- Cream the butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg, lemon juice, chopped ginger and lemon zest and mix until smooth.
- Sift together flour and baking soda. Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture and mix until well blended.
- Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Scoop out tablespoon-size balls and roll them in the toasted coconut. Place balls at least 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheet tray.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes until lightly brown on edges. Remove and cool on counter or a cool surface.